I don't know how it happened but we have found ourselves in Monmouth without a single Chinese takeout restaurant, and that is just tragic.
Here is a super tasty recipe for Hot and Sour Soup. We are not vegan or even vegetarian but you could easily adapt this recipe to fit your needs. It is really good. I mean, REALLY, really good. Serves 4 or so.
- 1 32 ounce chicken stock (sub vegetable stock)
- 2 C water
- 2 T soy sauce
- 1/2 t (or more) red pepper flakes
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms. (Let's be real. The only fresh mushroom we get here are button. So use those. IF you have access to fresh shitake mushrooms, use those. Rehydrating the dehydrated ones just don't work.)
- 3-4 T rice vinegar
- 2 T cornstarch
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 7 oz firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/4 cubes
- 2 T finely grated, peeled fresh ginger (I take fresh ginger and chop it up. Then press it through my garlic press to get minced ginger but also use some ginger juice that results from the pressing)
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced on the bias
- chopped cilantro - garnish optional
- chopped peanuts - garnish optional
In large pot, combine broth, soy sauce, red pepper flakes and two cups water. Bring to boil over medium heat. Add mushrooms. reduce heat and simmer until tender about 12 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar and cornstarch. Add to pot and simmer, stirring until thickened about 2 minutes.
Stir broth then add the eggs through a slotted spoon and stir until ribbons form. Stir in the tofu. Turn down heat to low and let stand for a couple minutes.
Add garnishes. Serve, then strut your stuff. Because, OH, this is a damn good soup!